Wednesday 19 October 2011

There’s no such thing as a bad run….


As Essex isn’t known for its hills (or even being close to any) I can realistically only get away to the mountains about once a month so in between trips running will be forming a large part of my training.

It’s never been something I particularly enjoy, sure I like the endorphin rush and the feeling of satisfaction you get afterwards but the actual run has always felt like a chore that needs to be endured.
With this in mind I’ve ended up playing all sorts of mind games with myself, doing whatever it takes to lace up my trainers and get out there regardless of how I’m feeling or the conditions telling myself that any run is better than no run!

However with everything else that has been going on in my life recently I have found myself craving a run and have actually enjoyed being out there and spending sometime concentrating on nothing other than my breathing and simply putting one foot in front of the other!

I’ve found it’s helped me to clear my frustration and anger on some days and given me purpose and drive on others and I’m sure it’s no coincidence that I’ve broken some pretty significant barriers on my way to setting new personal best times!

Of course there’s still times when I’ve been running, trying to figure out what’s the point but whenever I feel like giving up I just thing of the last push to the summit of Kili and remind myself…..

There’s no such thing as a bad run

No comments:

Post a Comment