Monday 12 December 2011

What it means to me…….


Between my training schedule and the trek arrangements it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that as well as trying to climb a couple of mountains I am also trying to raise £3,000 for the Kids Company.

I’ve always believed that in many ways I would find the fundraising harder than the mountains and between Christmas and the global economy it’s proving harder than ever!

I know what it’s like.

I’ve been there, sitting at my computer, minding my own business, when the email comes through:

“So and so is having their toenails pulled out for charity, PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY”

Once I’d remembered who so and so was I’d make a mental note to sponsor them.

Then a couple of weeks later I’d be sitting at my computer, minding my own business when:

“So and so is STILL having their toenails pulled out for charity, PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY”

After thinking “Crikey, that’s taking a while”, I’d make another mental note to sponsor them.

And this would continue on a regular basis until eventually I’d bump into so and so (who’s now walking with a pronounced limp) and realise with horror that I never did get around to sponsoring them.

Now I know what it’s like to be on the other side of those emails, anxiously checking my Virgin Money Giving page several times a day willing it change and the feeling of dread when you realise just how far you have to go to reach your target.

“You will change………You must change………..Please, please change……”

But then when someone does donate there’s a surge of pride and satisfaction as you realise that there’s someone who agrees with you.

Someone has decided that YOUR challenge and YOUR cause is worth their hard earned cash and just as importantly they've taken five minutes out of their day to make sure you get it!

Simple economics dictates that some donations are worth more than others but the truth is every one matters, it doesn’t matter if you’ve given £1 or £100, you’ve taken the time to do it and that’s what counts.

Because at the end of the day, when I’m struggling on the mountain, having my moment of doubt, it’s your names and comments, not the amounts, that will carry me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment