Tuesday 1 May 2012

There’s Only One Chance To Make A First Impression……


Ilboru Safari Lodge – 20th February

There were a myriad of thoughts and emotions running through my mind on the drive back from Mt Meru.

On the one hand there was sadness (but immense satisfaction) for the adventure I had just completed but this was mixed with excitement (and apprehension) for what was yet to come.

Relieved to be reunited with my long lost luggage all I needed now was a good shower and hopefully I’d resemble something human again before meeting up with everyone else.

With this in mind it’s probably not surprising that I almost burst into tears when we arrived at the hotel only to be told that my room wasn’t ready yet!

It may have been the state (or the smell) of me but I’d like to think that it was my winning personality and dazzling smile that convinced the very nice receptionist to sneak me into my room a little early.

Having a terrible memory for names, meeting large groups of new people can be a terrifying experience but still buzzing from Meru it was just great to have some company with whom to share a beer.

With the Kids Company Kilimanjaro 2012 crew assembled it was time for a final briefing before dinner and remembering just how shattered I’d been on arrival (and the early start tomorrow) it wasn’t surprising when folks started drifting off to bed.

Grabbing a final beer there was just enough time to log on in the internet “café” and send Claire a message, not least because it’s our anniversary today, 12 years and still going strong!


No comments:

Post a Comment