Thursday 8 September 2011

“Last night a Weimaraner saved my life…….”


Any dog needs walking and big energetic dogs tend to need more than most, so as Lottie grew our walks got progressively longer quickly evolving into three hour plus explorations of the Essex countryside.

It was during these walks that I realised just how many compromises I had conditioned myself to accept as a result of my weight and that I had squandered what should have been some of the fittest years of my life.

For weeks I trawled my mind for something to focus on, a challenge that would motivate me to continue working on my fitness whilst also proving a rejection of many of the compromises I had previously been forced to make and slowly an idea began to take shape.

Being somewhat prone to whim, when such an idea forms I try to resist the initial impulse to act, instead I spend the next few months mulling it over until it either evaporates or has been analysed, planned and reviewed to such an extent that it gathers momentum and inevitably bursts out.

And that was the point I found myself one sunny March afternoon, enjoying a quiet walk along the river with Claire and Lottie when I looked over, smiled and blurted out “I WANT TO CLIMB KILMANJARO!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment