Tuesday 17 April 2012

“Tipping is not a place in China”……

Ilboru Safari Lodge – 20h February 

Over dinner the matter of tipping had been the hot topic of discussion after one of the groups we had ascended with were pretty much confronted by their porters demanding their tips.

Aware of many of the stories that surround this issue (i.e. baggage being held to ransom) it was understandably distressing particularly when we discovered that one of the guys had already been conned/bullied into giving an extraordinarily generous tip on Kilimanjaro.

Once again, thanks to AWC I was perfectly prepared as they had provided me with a factsheet which provided a high/low range of tips that may be appropriate as well as an assurance that none of their staff should solicit any tips.
Personally I always knew this was going to be tricky for me.

Normally a trekking group would pool their tips for distribution amongst the crew however being on my own I was painfully aware that the size of each tip was going to have to be based more on what I could afford than what each member of my crew deserved.

Occasionally AWC like to hire a porter from one of the local villages at the gate, improving their relations with the local community and giving them the opportunity to “trial” new porters before adding them to their roster.

Christopher had been hired this way and fulfilled the role of general porter carrying much of the food and kit that had made my time on the mountain so comfortable.

 Christopher clearly looking forward to another day carrying the bulk of the equipment!

Mustapha had been my “personal” porter charged with looking after my baggage so thanks to the airlines possibly had one of the easiest trips of his career!  

Mustapha, porter, waiter and self appointed Swahili tutor.

He also fulfilled the role of waiter/steward and whether it was first thing in the morning or at the end of a long day walking his beaming smile was always as welcome as the cup of tea he’d be offering.

January had been my cook for the trip and from roast potatoes to perfectly seasoned soup his skill with what amounted to little more than a gas camping stove had amazed me throughout.  

 January, possible the best chef in the world?
(given the eqipment at his disposal)?

And finally there was Wilfred who had started as my guide but finished as a friend.

His knowledge and keen eye had helped me catch many of the photo’s that would define this part of my trip and his support had been instrumental in my climb to the summit.

 Wilfred, a surprisingly good guide (despite looking like he's lost)!

 Aware that I was on my own he made sure that I was never alone, joining me for meals etc, whilst treading that fine line that ensured his presence was never intrusive.

In the end it was smiles all round and whilst they may not have received what they deserved after a little quite contemplation it was a little more than I had originally planned!

My Mt Meru Crew - February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment