Sunday 12 February 2012

“All my bags are packed, I’m Ready To Go” (part 1)……

When sorting out my kit I’ve generally split it into two categories, that which I consider essential to the safe climbing of the mountains and that which is just necessary!

So when it’s come to packing I’ve tried to ensure that the “essential” kit is covered between what I can wear whilst travelling and what I can fit into my hand luggage.

That way, if (and hopefully it’s a big IF) the airlines mislay my baggage I should be able to complete the trek albeit in less comfort and ending up a lot smellier at the end of it!

This is the kit I’m taking, it’s not meant to be a definitive list of what you should take but it’s what I feel I need to give me the best chance of a safe, comfortable (?) and successful trip.

WEARING:


Socks – Bridgedale Endurance Trekker ­– Quality wool sock, warm & comfortable even when wet.

Socks – Compression Flight socks –Who wants DVT?

Boots - Mindle Burmas - German Engineering, for your feet!

Boxers – Paramo Cambria – Highly wicking pants, they even advertise that they can be worn inside out!

Buff – Headcover, sweatband, hat you name it!

Fleece – Paramo Summit Hoodie – Warm and virtually waterproof!

Trousers – Mountain Equipment Ibex – Water resistant, hard wearing & stretchy for ease of movement (like squatting over long drop toilets)!

Waterproof Jacket – Paramo Velez Adventurre Light  - More breathable than Gore Tex & quieter too!

Baselayer – Smartwool Lightweight Merino (longsleeve, zip) – Warmer than synthetic tops and takes longer to dry but will smell a lot, LOT better after several days wear!
  
HAND LUGGAGE:


Sleeping Bag – PHD Minim 400 – Great quality down bag, comfort rated to -5 and packs away to almost nothing.

Down Jacket – Rab Summit – Like the bag very warm and packs down really well.

Waterproof Trousers – Paramo Velez Adventure Light – Will also double up as insulation on the colder days/evenings.

Gloves – Mountain Equipment Guide – Very warm and virtually waterproof.

Wooly Hat – Embers Merino – Chunky, warm & red!

Gaiters – Outdoor Research Crocodile – Not strictly essential but fill a convenient gap and will eep scree out of your boots.

Sleepmat – Exped Downmat 7 – A down filled “lilo”, warm & comfortable, what more could you want!


All of which will go into (somehow):



Crux AX47-X rucksack – Comfortable and virtually indestructible. I prefer simpler more streamlined packs rather than those with lots of pockets (because I’d forget where I’ve put everything)!


No comments:

Post a Comment