Thursday 9 February 2012

Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag……


OK, my kit bag isn’t old and I’m not filling it up with all my troubles but it’s beginning to feel like I’m packing everything else!

Much of this is due to the variety of climates you can expect to experience on the Mt Meru/Kilimanjaro and whilst not necessarily unique, these two mountains do stand out because of the distinct temperate zones you will pass through:

Cultivated zone and Forest (800m – 2,800m) 
    
The warmest, wettest and therefore greenest region.  Expect temperatures between 10 °c to 25°c however the humidity may make it feel warmer.


 
Heath and Moorland (2,800m – 4,000m)

Mist is a common feature at this level and the large trees and plants of the forest make way for grasses and low level shrubs.  Expect temperatures to drop below 0 °c.


 
Alpine Desert (4,000m – 5,000m)

Plant life virtually disappears with only those equipped for drought conditions surviving.

Rapid changes in cloud cover and wind speed mean that you can expect massive fluctuations in temperature from 40 °c in direct sunlight to well below freezing at night.


Ice Cap (5,000m – 5,895m)

Barren and hostile, expect arctic like conditions with temperatures of -10 °c to -20°c not uncommon.


So clothing wise you can see I’ll pretty much need to go prepared for everything!

However I also need to factor in everything else I’m likely to need from medication and toiletries (including toilet roll) to some little food luxuries such as Green & Blacks chocolate (and a good single malt).

I’ll be packing up my new kit bag this weekend and I’ll post a full kit list once it’s done!



No comments:

Post a Comment