Tuesday 29 November 2011

Above the clouds……..


For all the walking I have done over the last few years I had yet to witness a really good cloud inversion.  There have been moments when I’ve been close and seen a wave of cloud pour over a ridgeline or seen a distant peak poking through a blanket of white but these have always seemed to hint at something more spectacular.

I’d planned a decent walk centred around High Street which is a prominent part of a Roman Road that traversed much of this part of the Lake District and provided plenty of opportunity to extend or shorten the day depending on the conditions (and just how masochistic I felt like being).

 A quick photo op before heading up to High Street.

Whilst the walk along Striding Edge had been fantastic much of the previous day had been spent walking in fog, and without access to any weather forecasts I had no reason to expect anything different today.  

However by the time I had reached my first top of the day it was clear that I was in for something special.  All around me there were peaks and ridges rising through valleys full of cloud and in the distance I could even pick out most yesterdays walk.

 Helvellyn, Striding Edge & Catstye Cam rising above the cloud.

With such spectacular conditions it made sense to make the most of the opportunity and tick of a few more Wainwrights (The Knott, Rampsgill Head, High Raise, Kidsty Pike, Mardale Ill Bell, Thornthwaite Crag & Gray Crag) however with daylight running out and conditions deteriorating, the sensible decision was to descend at Threshthwaite Cove rather than try to squeeze in the last two I had in mind (Stony Cove Pike & Hartsop Dodd).

 The walk out along Pasture Beck.




No comments:

Post a Comment