Tuesday 29 November 2011

Camping Barns and Intruder Alarms……….


I’d never stayed in a Camping Barn before but I had struggled to find Campsites that were open this late in the year and its location between Helvellyn and High Street made the Swirral Barn an obvious choice.

 Swirral Camping Barn


The barn is part of a complex of buildings which include a YMCA and a few other club huts centred around an old lead mine and despite having eight beds I had it to myself for most of my stay all for the princely sum of £8 a night!

 Swirral Camping Barn is the taller building on the second level

Claire seems to have this bizarre notion that whenever I go away I am going to get hacked to pieces in my tent by some fell walking maniac whereas I work on the basis that most psychopaths are actually rather compulsive and therefore not likely to wander into the middle nowhere on the off chance that they’ll stumble across a random victim!

But you can never be too sure and given that the barn is only secured by a keypad, which as best as I can tell the code has been given to anyone who has ever stayed there (psychopaths included), I fashioned a rather sophisticated intruder alarm out of an empty beer bottle and slept like a baby!

 I’m seriously considering taking this onto Dragons Den
“Hello, my name is Simon and I’m after £100,000 for a 0.01% share in my home security company”

No comments:

Post a Comment