Sunday 27 November 2011

High Spies, Maidens & Catbells……..


Having spent much of the last few weeks running my guts out you could say that I was looking forward to a few days “rest” in the Lake District.

The drive up there usually takes around 6 hours and I always find myself faced with a bit of a conundrum, do I get up early (4:30am), get in front of the traffic and get a few hours walking in or do I wait and set of around 10am, gaining a lie in but sacrificing precious time on the hills?

As usual the lure of the hills proved too strong and after a pretty good drive I found myself in Keswick early enough to get in a bit of gear perving (lots of self control required) and a late breakfast before lacing up my boots.

Knowing my legs would be stiff and tired after the drive and without knowing exactly how much light I would have I’d planned to do Catbells, not the mightiest peak in the Lakes but a good warm up with the potential for some good views.


The last part of the ascent to Catbells

The climb to the top was good, my legs felt strong (all that training must be doing some good!) and I had plenty of time so despite the wind doing its best to knock me off my feet I decided to carry onto up to Maiden Moor.


The route from Catbells to Maiden Moor.

And of course once I’d reached Maiden Moor it was only a hop, skip and a jump (well in my minds eye perhaps), to carry onto to High Spy to round off the day.


The smile's fake, I was freezing having waited for 10 mins for another couple to reach the top so I could scrounge a photo out of them (I let you decide whether it was worth it).

No comments:

Post a Comment